Sunday, April 6, 2014

Oh, The Things I See, a flash fiction I wrote for my creative writing class.

From where I stand, the view is clear. Hardly noticed unless it’s dark, I sit here and recollect my thoughts of how I got to where I am today, and the people who have touched me.

I have been around long enough to have seen when the pair first moved in. We lived together in that small apartment looking over the city, this couple and I. My friends were so young and unsure about where life would take them, but I have seen this stage of life before, and I assure them as they climb in to bed down the hall from one another that they will rise tomorrow and the next day, just as unsure but with even more purpose.

It wasn’t long before my roommates moved in to the same room. I was left where I was originally settled, not that I minded, but I couldn’t say that I didn’t see this new arrangement coming. I don’t condemn them for their behavior. On the contrary, I only aim to shed a light on what they didn’t see before.

I still remember the first fight that the two had. There was a miscommunication, as there always is in these sorts of matters. The female, Heidi walked out of the room with tears in her eyes. Her love followed quickly behind, and when Heidi faced me knowing I had heard everything before she could explain, her lover saw what I was pained to see. Quickly, another light I offered this time for him to see the grief this miscommunication caused. A minute after apologies were rushed, they returned to their room and it was as if the fight had never happened before.

One of my favorite things to see was what I call The Big Dinner. Candles were lit, a home cooked meal was created, and Heidi was busy testing what her love had most recently created. He was a man who made video games, something that Heidi adored as a pass time. He didn’t bring the dinner out on a plate until Heidi reached the end of the game and was faced with the ceremonious credits scene.

I read on the screen behind her, “You’ve saved the world. Will you be a part and save mine?”

If I was able, I would have wept the moment Heidi turned to find her love on one knee, a ring in a box.

I have to admit that I was surprised and also delighted to move in with the couple in their new house. The neighborhood was nice, suburban, and not too far from the city but also not too close to the country. It was just right. It was perfect for the newlyweds. I couldn't attend their wedding, but I lived with the dream they lived in every day so it was all the same to me.

One of my last memories will be the child they bring home from the hospital which they just rushed off to. I fear that the child will be my undoing. It will be an accident, but I have had a life lived well among these two, soon to be three, and I will regret nothing.

I am only a lamp after all, but oh, the things I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment